Student Spotlight

Tyler Tetef

What is your educational background?

I earned my Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, with a minor in Electrical Engineering, from the University of Illinois in 2019. My undergraduate experience helped satiate my desire to learn about and support advancements in aerospace technology. During this time, I had the opportunity to participate in aerodynamics research, rocket design, and Unmanned Aerial Vehicle design and fabrication.

Did you consider other institutions for the program, and why did you choose Illinois?

I considered other institutions whose programs did not offer as many opportunities as the program at the University of Illinois. The University of Illinois Aerospace Systems Engineering MEng program allows for taking a breadth of coursework, including topics in aerospace engineering, systems engineering, technology entrepreneurship, and professional development. This was the most appealing aspect of the program to me.

What made you decide to pursue Aerospace Systems Engineering?

I am passionate about working in the aerospace industry to manage and accelerate advanced technologies for aerospace applications. My undergraduate experiences and internships in the industry further solidified my interest in designing aerospace vehicles, which fueled my desire to gain more knowledge in the field through an advanced degree. A degree in Aerospace Systems Engineering not only allows me to advance my purely technical skills, but also gain practical experience and insight into managing novel technologies and complex systems.

What type of professional development you want to complete as part of the degree program (project, practicum, or coursework), and why?

I have been able to work in the aerospace industry while earning the degree part-time, which I have found beneficial by allowing me to apply knowledge from coursework directly to aerospace applications, such as development life cycles and control systems. At the end of the program, I will also be participating in a systems engineering practicum at an aerospace company.

CookieSettings CookieSettings