For applicants seeking admission into the Spring 2021 or Fall 2021 semesters, the GRE requirement has been waived. GRE scores will be accepted and, if provided, evaluated as part of your application. A strong GRE score can enhance your application. Note that English proficiency is still required for all students for whom English is not their native language. The Office of Admissions (https://grad.illinois.edu/admissions/instructions/04c) provides complete information on TOEFL exemptions and English proficiency options.
The M.Eng. in Aerospace Systems program is a non-thesis, non-research degree program. Applicants must hold either a bachelor’s or master’s degree in natural sciences or engineering. In addition, applicants must have at least a 3.0 or higher GPA in their last two years of undergraduate study.
International students whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS Exam Scores.
(Effective for Spring 2020 Term forward)
- Fall Term: July 1
- Spring Term: December 1
Students are strongly urged to submit their applications and supporting documents earlier than the posted deadline for full consideration.
STEPS TO APPLY
All parts of the application, including the application fee, must be received by the application deadline. Late applications may not be accepted. In addition, incomplete applications will be subject to denial. In addition, all admission decisions will be communicated via email to the email address provided in the application.
- Complete the university’s Online Application.
- Pay the application fee – $70 for US citizens and permanent residents and $90 for international students. Application fee must be paid using a credit card through the online application and is non-refundable.
- Submit/upload unofficial transcripts for all completed university coursework with the Online Application. Official transcripts will be required upon admission and acceptance to the program. If offered admission, you must submit final, official academic credentials from the institution/s within one month of the start of the semester to the Graduate College.
- Submission of 3 Letters of Recommendation. Individuals writing letters of recommendation on your behalf should submit their letters through the online application system.
- Submission of GRE scores. (Please see info above about waiver of GRE) The department does not have a minimum score requirement for the GRE, but a quantitative score in the 80th percentile is recommended. Scores on the GRE, General Test, are required of all applicants to the Department of Aerospace Engineering. Score reports must be coded to reach our program directly from ETS. The code for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is 1836. The code for the Department of Aerospace Engineering is 1601. Scores from ETS are entered into one university database so there is no need to resubmit scores if you apply to more than one department.
- Statement of Purpose. This is a part of the online application form. This statement should include your background and goals as they relate to Aerospace Systems. It is good to include any past work history, your interests, and reason for pursuing a graduate degree in Aerospace Systems. Generally a statement of purpose is between one and two pages.
- Resume. This is a part of the online application form. Your resume should address your education, job experience, remarkable achievements, publications, organizations, awards, and leadership experiences.
- All applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as evidence of English proficiency. Official scores are required to be submitted directly from TOEFL/ETS or IELTS. For more information, please visit English Proficiency Requirements. Please note: TOEFL or IELTS scores must be less than two years old from the first day of class at the proposed term of entry in order to be valid. International students may check to see if they are exempt from this requirement based on their country of citizenship.
- Check your status of your application materials to ensure all materials have been submitted.
Financial Certification Form – Completed only if offered admission
If admission is offered, international applicants must submit the Financial Form and certification of finances. This form does not need to be submitted with the application materials.
Learn more about the Application Evaluation Process.