The M.Eng. in Aerospace Systems Engineering program offers a multidisciplinary curriculum to prepare students for a wide variety of careers in the field. The concentration in Aerospace Systems Engineering considers both the business and the technical needs of potential customers and prepares its graduates accordingly. To round out your education, you are required to fulfill a professional development requirement via a practicum, a project, independent study or coursework. The professional development requirement is aimed at developing the following skill set in the context of aerospace systems:
- Project development
- Project management
- Oral and written communication
- Feasibility studies
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Engineering economics and business aspect of technology
- Component or system-level conceptual design studies
- Design and build activities
- Experimental work
While core engineering skills (near the bottom of this list) will be developed in other courses, skills near the top of this list are emphasized in the professional development requirement.
Aerospace Systems Engineering Practicum
Aerospace Systems Engineering Project
The Aerospace Systems Engineering Project is a more conventional form of a design, optimization, management, or research project supervised by one or more faculty members.
Professional Development Approved Coursework
The following courses have been identified to satisfy the professional development requirements of the Aerospace Systems MEng degree. Students must complete 4 credit hours from List A and 4 credit hours from List B.
Students may select a different course with professional development in consultation with advisor.
List A (4 hours)
- AE 597 – Independent Study
- TE 401 – Developing Breakthrough Projects
- ENG 572 – Professional Practicum
- ENG 573 – Capstone Project
List B (4 hours)
- TE 450 – Startup: Inc, Fund, Contracts, IP
- TE 460 – Lecture in Engineering Entrepreneurship
- TE 461 – Technology Entrepreneurship
- TE 466 – High-Tech Venture Marketing
- TE 560 – Managing Advanced Technology I
- TE 565 – Technology Innovation & Strategy
- TE 566 – Finance for Engineering Management
- TE 567 – Venture Funded Startups